I don’t know about you, but Mother’s Day always seems to creep up on me out of nowhere. Between Easter and all of the spring festivals to go visit, it just slips through the cracks until, suddenly, it’s the day before and I have failed to make plans.
Does that make me a bad son? I don’t think so. (Don’t ask my mom for her opinion, though.)
If this sounds like you, you’re in luck. Because I’m tired of scrambling at the last minute to find things to do with my mom on Mother’s Day, I’ve pulled together this list of 20 things to do with mom in Connecticut.
Take Mom for a Meal
- Teach your mom to slurp ramen with the best of them at Mecha Noodle Bar in Fairfield, New Haven, or South Norwalk.
- If mom is a fast food junkie, treat her to a burger at Louis’ Lunch, the birthplace of the hamburger. No reservations required (they’re not even allowed!). Alternatively, you can try something a little different with a steamed cheeseburger in Meriden.
- Want to bring mom back to the days of her youth? There are few meals more nostalgia-inducing than hotdogs or pizza. Bring her out for a meal along the Connecticut Hot Dog Trail, or bring her down to Pepe’s Pizza in New Haven.
- If she’s an adventurous eater, you can treat her to a culinary trip around the world by trying all of the unique ethnic foods in New Haven.
- Head on down to Mohegan Sun with mom to take in a show, do a little gambling, and try a nice meal at one of the great restaurants they have to offer.
- If your mom loves a good mac and cheese, check out Mac N’ Out in Milford or Bridgeport. With choices like their Sloppy Joe Mac, Cajun Mac, and Chicken Bacon Ranch Mac, she’s sure to find something that she’ll love. If you’re closer to Monroe, you can check out MacDaddy’s instead!
- Who says that BBQ has to be for the guys? It’s one of our moms’ favorite meals, and we’re sure your mom would love some good ribs, brisket, and chicken. There are so many great joints around CT, but a few of our favorites include Sugar and Smoke in Putnam, House of Bones in Derby, and Hoodoo Brown in Ridgefield.
Take Mom for a Hike
- If your mom is a trail junkie who also happens to be a dog junkie, take her on a hike to one of these top dog-friendly hiking trails. Your mom’s pets are her children too; why shouldn’t they be included?
- For some killer views of stunning waterfalls, bring mom to Southford Falls, one of CT’s hidden gems.
- Want to really get you and your mom’s heart pumping? Tackle Bear Mountain, Connecticut’s highest peak. It’s definitely a workout, and not for beginners, but the views are totally worth the effort.
- If mom is more of a beginner, check out the trails at Sleeping Giant State Park.
- Head to Spruce Brook Ravine in Beacon Falls for one of the most scenic hikes in all of Connecticut. It’ll make for a Mother’s Day that she won’t soon forget.
- Harkness State Park in Waterford is another awesome spot for a Mother’s Day stroll, where you can walk down to the water and see views of Long Island Sound. Visit the summer mansion that sits on the 230 acre property, and to top it all off, visit the amazing garden—perfect for any nature lover.
- Need a hike unlike any other? Check out our list of the 20 most stunning hikes in CT and pick one that you’ve yet to visit! Whichever location you choose, mom is sure to love every minute.
Take Mom for a Drink
- Bring mom to one of the amazing wineries we’ve got right here in Connecticut. No matter what corner of the state you hail from, there’s a winery close enough to make for an amazing treat.
- If mom’s more of a beer snob than a wine snob, bring her to one of the amazing breweries or microbreweries we’ve got in CT.
- A trip to the Litchfield Distillery will both educate and entertain moms who are looking to try something a little different on their special day. A tour comes with a free tasting of whiskey, bourbon, gin, and vodkas—perfect for any mom who wants to get her buzz on.
- Bring mom to one of New Haven’s most unique bars for a fun beginning or end to her Mother’s Day adventure.
- Bring your mom for a mimosa or glass of Champaign at one of Connecticut’s beautiful spas, like the Spa at the Norwich Inn.
- The M Bar in Mystic is a great spot for wine lovers. Located in an old, restored gas station in the heart of town, it’s one of the most interesting destinations in Mystic, and makes for a great base to explore the rest of the city.
- This might not be for all moms (I know my mom would hate it for example), but if your mom is a fan of fun and games, a trip to Barcade in New Haven might be just the thing for a fun and memorable Mother’s Day full of classic arcade games, top notch food, and more.
Take Mom Out For the Day
- Was your mom a fan of Gilmore Girls? If she was, treat her to a Gilmore Girls getaway by visiting the Litchfield Hills, where the inspiration for Stars Hollow came from.
- Take mom for a fun, relaxing 90-minute cruise along the Connecticut River in Haddam, where she might be lucky enough to spot an eagle or osprey.
- If mom is more of an adrenaline junkie, bring her to Lake Quassy for the first amusement park excursion of the season.
- If your mom loves flowers, you should bring her to the Fairfield Dogwood Festival, which features more than 200 flowering dogwood trees, music, food, and a wonderful community atmosphere.
- Get mom in a summery mood by bringing her to the Robin Hoods Faire in North Haven, the first renaissance fair of the season.
- Is your mom an animal lover? Bring her to the Beardsley Zoo for their Mother’s Day event, featuring free admission and a great day with the animals.
- Take mom to the Warner Theater to see The Full Monty, tickets are buy one get one free for Mother’s Day!
And, of course, check out the Connecticut Weekender Events Calendar to find all of the events happening in Connecticut on Mother’s Day Weekend.