I don’t know about you, but Mother’s Day always seems to creep up on me out of nowhere. Between Easter and all of the spring festivals to go visit, it just slips through the cracks until, suddenly, it’s the day before and I have failed to make plans.
Does that make me a bad son? I don’t think so. (Don’t ask my mom for her opinion, though.)
If this sounds like you, you’re in luck. Because I’m tired of scrambling at the last minute to find things to do with my mom on Mother’s Day, I’ve pulled together this list of 20 things to do with mom in Connecticut.
Take Mom for a Meal
- Teach your mom to slurp ramen with the best of them at Mecha Noodle Bar in Fairfield, New Haven, or South Norwalk.
- If mom is a fast food junkie, treat her to a burger at Louis’ Lunch, birthplace of the hamburger. No reservations required (they’re not even allowed!). Alternatively, you can try something a little different with a steamed cheeseburger in Meriden.
- Want to bring mom back to the days of her youth? There are few meals more nostalgia-inducing than hotdogs or pizza. Bring her out for a meal along the Connecticut Hot Dog Trail, or bring her down to Pepe’s Pizza in New Haven.
- If she’s an adventurous eater, you can treat her to a culinary trip around the world by trying all of the unique ethnic foods in New Haven.
- Head on down to Mohegan Sun with mom to take in a show, do a little gambling, and try a nice meal at one of the great restaurants they have to offer.
Take Mom for a Hike
- If your mom is a trail junkie who also happens to be a dog junkie, take her on a hike to one of these top dog-friendly hiking trails. Your mom’s pets are her children too; why shouldn’t they be included?
- For some killer views of stunning waterfalls, bring mom to Southford Falls, one of CT’s hidden gems.
- Want to really get you and your mom’s heart pumping? Tackle Bear Mountain, Connecticut’s highest peak. It’s definitely a workout, and not for beginners, but the views are totally worth the effort.
- If mom is more of a beginner, check out the trails at Sleeping Giant State Park.
- Head to Spruce Brook Ravine in Beacon Falls for one of the most scenic hikes in all of Connecticut. It’ll make for a Mother’s Day that she won’t soon forget.
Take Mom for a Drink
- Bring mom to one of the amazing wineries we’ve got right here in Connecticut. No matter what corner of the state you hail from, there’s a winery close enough to make for an amazing treat.
- If mom’s more of a beer snob than a wine snob, bring her to one of the amazing breweries or microbreweries we’ve got in CT.
- A trip to the Litchfield Distillery will both educate and entertain moms who are looking to try something a little different on their special day. A tour comes with a free tasting of whiskey, bourbon, gin, and vodkas—perfect for any mom who wants to get her buzz on.
- Bring mom to one of New Haven’s most unique bars for a fun beginning or end to her Mother’s Day adventure.
- Bing your mom for a mimosa or glass of Champaign at one of Connecticut’s beautiful spas, like the Spa at the Norwich Inn.
Take Mom on a Day Trip
- Was your mom a fan of Gilmore Girls? If she was, treat her to a Gilmore Girls getaway by visiting the Litchfield Hills, where the inspiration for Stars Hollow came from.
- Take mom for a fun, relaxing 90-minute cruise along the Connecticut River in Haddam, where she might be lucky enough to spot an eagle or osprey.
- If mom is more of an adrenaline junkie, bring her to Lake Quassy for the first amusement park excursion of the season.
- If your mom loves flowers, you should bring her to the Fairfield Dogwood Festival, which features more than 200 flowering dogwood trees, music, food, and a wonderful community atmosphere.
- Get mom in a summery mood by bringing her to the Robin Hoods Faire in North Haven, the first renaissance fair of the season.
And, of course, check out the Connecticut Weekender Events Calendar to find all of the events happening in Connecticut on Mother’s Day Weekend.